7/12/18

DnD and how it helps creatively

"Don't nerds play that?" -my dad


About a year ago, I got into Dungeons and Dragons. I had played years before, but didn't look too hard into playing again, because 1) I didn't have a license, 2) I didn't have a car or friends with a car and 3) I didn't have friends. You're going to hear me talk a lot about this game and the like.

I never understood how expansive and open the world of D&D is. I thought it all came from a book, or it was improvised with no script and no real objective. But, that was a few years ago, when v. 3.5 was the most recent edition.
Fast forward to December of 2016. I go to my first card shop and find the Player's Guide and the Dungeon Master's (DM) Guide for $50 each.
With $100 to my name, I buy them.

As I read through the DM guide, I found myself getting more and more inspired to write. "An asteroid will destroy the map in x amount of days unless the heros find person and defeat them"
"A fountain fairy has a quest for the nobelist of hearts"
"The stream runs dry and people suspect it to be a large sleeping dragon at the top of a treacherous mountain"

More recently, I've gotten my ideas together and made a map.
Those volcanoes are one large volcano, not a bunch

The goal of this one is to help maintain peace among the land while the Coutal that visits monthly finds a mate, for he is getting old.
There are 6 distinct sections; Forest, Desert, Rock, Volcano, Badlands, and Swamp. Each one of the sections surrounds a large lake in the center of the map. Underneath that lake is the City of the Divines, the city in a large pool where the Coutal visits for a week in a large, heavenly spire, surrounded by six houses, each one bunking and representing a kingdom.
If order is not restored within the week, the Coutal must stay until peace has been achieved by all kingdoms. His, and his lineage's, goal is to keep peace among these once brutally warring nations.

Basic and simple concept; maintaining peace. It may be a boring idea, but it's my first real campaign, so it's gonna have fawn legs.

City of the Divines

I've talked with a few of my high school friends about it, because some of them play too. My best friend, who runs a blog called Throne of Salt, told me to take things slow. Do one kingdom at a time.
Another friend of mine helped write for the desert kingdom. He introduced creatures and NPC's I would have never thought to include.
With that being said, I have two areas nearly completed: the forest and the desert.
I've written it so that the players start in the forest. But, because there are 6 kingdoms, when all of their stories are written, the DM will roll 1d6 to determine where the players start.
That's the plan, anyway.

All of this stemmed from simply reading a book. I now have all of the core books. I was just missing the Monster Manual.
I feel like I've sidetracked too much. I do that a lot, especially when I talk about something I'm so excited to play, or write.
In this case, it's both.

Anyway, there will be more Dungens and Dargun stories in the future.

If you really wanna get inspired to write, I suggest picking up the DM guide. Skim though it at your local card shop, or find it online. Amazon has them cheaper than the card shop I bought it from. But I'm all about supporting local businesses, so I don't regret buying them considering how much use I'm getting out of them.

[This post doesn't seem to be my best, since I'm not used to writing in a 'blog' style. Most of the stuff I write is short stories or comics, so please bear with me for these first few posts. Thank you~~]

1 comment: